Monday, July 5, 2010

Glasses

First of all, Hi. This is Gabrielle. And I'm a new contributor to Rant Once or Twice.

So here goes.

I wear glasses. I know lots of other people who wear glasses. Chances are, you know someone who wears glasses too. Now, the thing that bothers me is when people think that just because you wear glasses, you are completely and totally blind without them on.
"CAN YOU SEE THIS?" they yell, (as if wearing glasses makes you deaf as well) four fingers held in front of your face, "HOW MANY FINGERS AM I HOLDING UP?"
Hmmm...maybe I should humor them and let them think I really am blind. Of course, you don't really say that. Instead, you say, "OF COURSE I can see that! It's three bloody inches from my face!"
"Well SO-RRY!! I'm not the one that has to wear GLASSES!" But instead of just leaving you well alone, they step back a few feet. "HOW MANY FINGERS AM I HOLDING UP NOW?"
"Seven," you say, rolling your eyes.
In the meantime, your glasses seem to have made their way across the room, with people trying them on willy-nilly. "HOW DO I LOOK?!" someone shrieks.
"Okay, okay, okay, one last time," says the person testing your blindness, "how many fingers am I holding up NOW?"
"Two," you reply.
"HA HA HA! GOTCHA!!!!!!!!" they say, holding up their other hand, which was concealed in their pocket, and has three fingers raised.
"OKAY, you got me. Can I have my glasses back now?" Once you retrieve your glasses, you think with disgust, great, now I'm going to have to bathe these in sanitizer once I get home. 
And it's only nine in the morning.

-Gabrielle

4 comments:

  1. I have to completey agree. I have glasses aswell and people still, to this day, who I've known most of my life still ask me if I'm blind. It's soo annoying :P

    ~May

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! I wear glasses and evryone in my class finds it fun to try them on all the time and see how they look!
    Annoying!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This happens to me all the time! Everyone thinks that you can't see a foot in front of your face. I may be blind, but I'm not THAT blind. :P And then everyone proceeds to try on your glasses for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh goodness, I know what you mean. I take off my glasses for a second and people test my ability of what I can see.

    "I'M NOT BLIND, GOT IT?"

    :-P I could rant about this ALL DAY!

    ReplyDelete